October 26, 2012
Fall offers one last chance to get renovations done before winter brings ice and snow. Here are the top five Fall “Do It Yourself” projects to get your house ready for winter
- Replace Drafty Windows – Fall is the perfect time to replace your windows. Replacing old windows will save you money on your electric or gas bill in the long run by keeping the cold air out and the heat inside. You will get an immediate return on investment and you will be able to track your savings based on your utility bills. DIYNetwork.com has great tips on replacing your windows, from choosing the type of window you want and budgeting tips.
- Clear your gutters – Autumn means falling leaves and falling leaves means clogged gutters. Clear your gutters as soon as most of the trees around the house have lost their leaves. A properly cleaned gutter will help prevent flooding after the snow melts from a big storm. After you are done cleaning the gutters, you would be best served to install a gutter cover.
- Replace your Air Filter – You will be spending a lot more time indoors with incoming winter weather. Make sure you replace your air filter to prevent allergens and germs from lingering inside your home. This is particularly helpful if your kids constantly get sick.If you do not have central air, you should consider purchasing an air purifier.
- Paint your living room’s walls – With the holiday season coming up, painting your walls can provide an ambiance that will make your winter more cheerful. Painting your walls in the winter time poses problems as the temperature may not properly dry the paint.
- Make a fire pit – If you don’t want to spend money on installing an outdoor fireplace, making a fire pit is an inexpensive alternative. You can go as inexpensive as digging a hole and placing rocks around it or you can make a stacked-stone fire-pit as a $200-450 solution. There’s nothing better than sitting around an outdoor fire on a cold Autumn evening with a group of friends. It will also give you any easy way to dispose of fallen branches in your lawn.
If any of these ideas appeal to you and you do not have the time or energy to complete the project, make sure to contact us. At Total Renovation Group, we strive to help better your place. Call us now to get your free estimate!